Saturday, August 22, 2020

Mixerr Album Reviews #2,209

Lil Willie Johnson - Young Man Take Care of Your Child is one of the more rarer albums from gospel singer Li'l Willie Johnson. This is a super rare deep soul album by gospel singer Li'l Willie Johnson that has been lost and forgotten with time. Not too many people know about this album. Thankfully Lil Willie has allowed his album to be streamed digitally on website services such as YouTube, Amazon, and CDBaby.

The album has that 70s soul sound mixed with 2000s deep soul as well. Southern soul and deep soul can’t get any better than this. So now this album is certainly something you would expect to hear from a powerful modern deep soul singer. His sound is similar to Bobby Bland, Lil Ed Williams, Blind Willie Johnson, and Z. Z. Hill. The blues songs he covers on this album are also perfect as they filled with deep powerful soul. This album has a taste of powerful modern soul too. There's no one who can sing like Little Willie Johnson.

Young Man Take Care of Your Child was his second debut album as a soul singer and solo artist released in the year 2001. This album was issued on cassette and CD-r. Most of these songs are vintage recordings dating back to the 70s and 80s. Most of these songs came from his 2000 debut album Leave My Keys.


Tonight Might be the Night is perfect for a romantic night or a late night creep. The diluted bass has a reverb and deep tone.

Willie is on his way to her house. She told him tonight might be the night they can get into something romantic. Willie hopes she means every word she says because he does not have time to mess around. Things start to hot and steamy here. She is dropping down, breaking in a sweat.

Of course Willie gets hard when he sees her strutting down the street with her big pretty legs. His heart skips a beat whenever he sees her big pretty legs. It’s a shame that she will not share his love with him. He believes he can her all his. A lot of his friends are always begging her. They got more money to spend on her than Willie does.

He’s so glad. Willie believes he can her his lover.


The song Leave My Keys uses several layers of instrumentation with a powerful horn selection, loud drum kit, and rhythmic bass guitars. What stands out about this particular song is the loud powerful horn selection. Basically loudness is what sets the tone for this song of his. This song came from his 2000 debut album of the same name.

She said she was leaving Lil Willie Johnson. She’s going away real soon. Willie stayed up all night long wondering what she meant be she was leaving him. He tells her, “Go on. Walk out the door. Leave my keys, baby. ” He also tells her, “Leave my keys to the car.”

All this midnight roaming and wondering around has got Willie wondering what’s going on. She said she was leaving him so many times before. But Willie thought she would never leave him this time for good. After he gave her everything after marrying her. He explicitly tells her to go on and leave him be. He explicitly tells her, “Go on. Leave me, baby. Walk out the door. Leave my keys.”


Lil Willie Johnson covers James Brown and The Famous Flames - Try Me with the song Try Me. Here on this particular cover song, Lil Willie Johnson sounds like Lil Ed Williams and Z. Z. Hill when he talks. This song is perfect for a very special night or a break up. Try Me is definitely perfect for the bedroom as things get sexual and sexy here.

Lil Willie Johnson is the “go-to” man when a lady is searching for good love, action, and satisfaction. He wants any to try being with him. He tells any lady, “When the hurt is strong and everything you do is wrong. You need someone to comfort you. Well, listen baby. I'll come first to you. So try me.” He explains why he is the “go-to man” in the lyrics to this song.

If you need satisfaction
Listen baby, I've got the action
Where I am, that's where it's at
So, listen baby, it's tit for tat, so
Try me, try me, try me

When the hurt is strong
And everything you do is wrong
You need someone to comfort you
Well, listen baby, I'll come first to you, so
Try me, try me, try me

Need good lovin'
I'm black, try me coming
Yes I'm black, try me and I'm coming
Try me, try me


Lil Willie Johnson does a beautiful job covering Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - I Need You with his enigmatic deep soul styled singing.

Lil Willie Johnson doesn't want to be happy with somebody else. He knows this. He found a particular lady he knows he would be happy with. No need of fooling himself. Why be concerned if she doesn’t love him? He’d be wasting her time and his as well. But it’s clear that he desperately needs her. He wants her.

He doesn’t need "someone else”. He needs her. I guess he’s just a stubborn fool. Kind of hard headed like a mule. But how does Willie love someone else when he needs her? Well I guess these things just don't matter. “But how do I love someone else when I need you?” is the question he asking himself.

He apologizes as there is no love between them. He can tell from the look in her eyes that she is now with another man. Willie explain how she is with another man with these lyrics here: “And I apologize/There's no kind of love between us/I can see from the looks of your eyes/And now you're with another”


The title track Young Man Take Care of Your Child tells men to take care of their own children and not be an absent parent. The song uses filtered diluted bass coming from a bass guitar. Reverb is used in the electric organ.

Don’t Cry is the chorus driven deep soul song which is backed by a lively xylophone and a marimba. A xylophone and marimba are what give this song a live feeling. The loud powerful energetic chorus is what stands out about Don’t Cry. You can feel the energy coming from the chorus as you listen to this song. This song is perfect for anyone who is going to a breakup in their relationship with a loved one.

I rate this album 5/5*****!

*Lil Willie Johnson also has his name stylized as Li'l Willie Johnson.
*Li'l Willie Johnson was a gospel singer before he transitioned into being a soul singer.
*His second album was much harder to find until 2010 when he released this album to CDBaby as a digital download.

No comments:

Post a Comment