Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Mixerr Album Reviews #2,297

Lil Cap’n Travis - Lonesome and Loosin’ is a mixture of country meeting alternative rock. You have the naive charm of the Beach Boys sprinkled with an edge of grittiness similar to Crazy Horse with an edge of Waylon Jennings. When you look at the album cover, you will automatically think of 60s pop. The low-grade color tones used on their front cover give away a nostalgic vibe as their album obviously looks like an album from the 1960s or 1970s. However this is not a pop album. This is an alternative rock album which was released in 2001. Rock meets country on this album. These are the three subjects on this album you can expect to hear: love, country, and drinking.


I Don't Wanna Go Out Tonite uses a country rock type of sound similar to a Johnny Cash or Waylon Jennings tune. This song uses an edge of countrified grittiness and a woozy kind of twang. Country meets rock on this song of theirs. One might think this is plunderphonics but that is not the case as this is an original song which uses no samples. Christian Braafladt is good at playing the guitar especially on this song. The song follows a honky-tonk country beat.

Restless is an upbeat alternative rock song with a rambunctious mood. You can easily tell by the upbeat tempo and sound. It’s not really difficult to define.

Peelin' Out in Zeus' Yard is an epic alternative rock instrumental that will just blow you away. The harmonies are laced with guitars and a drum kit. This song is powered by a psychedelic twang in the guitars. Now of course Peelin' Out in Zeus' Yard is another one of their upbeat songs. The song in contrast is not similar to the title track.


The song Pink Elephants is hilarious and staggering. The song is about alcohol and getting drunk. This is one of their more laid back songs with a slacker vibe that is fun. Well at least for them.

It is 3 AM in the morning and they off the poison that’s killing them. Wheat, malt and barley is their enemy. Seems like LCT and alcohol used to be friends. The pressure of giving in to alcohol is too much for LCT to bear. Their wallets are bulimic as their spent all of their money on alcohol. Knots in their stomachs keep churning away. It’s hard to understand the complete disaster of a man when they resort to alcoholism.

You obviously tell there had been a lot of drinking and drunkenness going on during the songwriting process. Read the lyrics to this song to understand.  

Three in the morning and I’ve killed off the poison that’s killing me
Wheat, malt and barley is my enemy
And it seems like we used to be friends
All my money, I just can’t seem to keep it
I think that my wallets bulimic
And the pressures giving in the bends
Wonder how long, how long can I drink till I’m drunk
How far can I sink till I’m sunk in a river in old sweat and shivers
It doesn’t’ seem very far
Those pink elephants keep crashing my car
Got to steer clear of whisky, jim, beer, and bourbon
The knots in my stomach keep churning
And I’m turning my wheels in a rut
It’s hard to understand the complete disaster of a man
Whose bed spinning faster than a ceiling fan, tired of being a toilet bowl slut
Wonder how long, how long can I drink till I’m drunk
How far can I sink till I’m sunk in a river in old sweat and shivers
It doesn’t seem very far
Those pink elephants keep crashing my car


The title track, Lonesome and Loosin’, one of Lil Cap'n Travis’ most emotionally powerful compositions to date. Lonesome and Loosin’ is about losing somebody you love and not being able to ever see that person again. It’s really difficult to understand or grasp those feelings sometimes. That’s why this is a sad song. This is one of their more downbeat songs in their catalog.

These lyrics are what make the song emotionally powerful and very sad but not mournful. "Would you think it's corny/If I said I missed you?/It's been too long/Since I got to kiss you" and "I am lonesome and loosin’/without you"

I rate this album 4/5****.

No comments:

Post a Comment