Sunday, October 17, 2021

Mixerr Album Reviews #2,438

Drake’s If You're Reading This It's Too Late reads like a suicide letter, death note, or a sad farewell note. The album cover says it all. The title alone is thought provoking and cringeworthy enough to cringe or make you want to flinch. Drake raps in a first-person style throughout a majority of the 17 tracks on the album. He reflects on his life as a sad rapper. All the choices and decisions he made so far. You can obviously tell Drake was going through a lot of issues and challenges in his life when he recorded the album. Highlights on the album include Energy, 10 Bands, and Wednesday Night Interlude.


Wednesday Night Interlude revolves around a man named PARTY (PARTYNEXTDOOR) who reminisces over this girl remembering everything while all alone within his thoughts. PARTY calls her in the middle of the week on a Wednesday night. However he is not happy and will not admit anything about his state of unhappiness. PARTY looks back at their whole relationship despite the fact that she cheated on him with her current significant other.

Wednesday Night Interlude is the slow jam on the album which uses rap breaks and vocal drops. You can hear and feel that soulful touch in PARTYNEXTDOOR’s vocals as you listen to the song.

It’s been a minute since they’ve slept together. PARTY has been thinking about everything all while/by remembering everything. Everything they have been through when they were together. PARTY calls her in the middle of the week on a Wednesday night. He doesn't know if it's because he is lonely. However in his subconscious he is aware that he is in a state of loneliness. He is aware that he is lonely. Now PARTY will admit his feelings to this girl if she keeps everything secret.

These lyrics underneath show his awareness of being lonely. “Lonely on a Wednesday night, girl, I'm lonely/I’ll admit it if you just keep quiet, girl, I'm lonely/That shit ain’t my fault, girl cause I'm lonely”

PARTY believes that no other woman that should comfort him when he is lonely. So PARTY resorts to drinking alcoholic beverages to cope with loneliness (being lonely). However even after the bottles are empty, he still feels lonely. Read his lyrics to the chorus.

[Chorus: PARTYNEXTDOOR]
Name another woman
Ain't no other woman that should comfort me when I’m lonely
Mixing Remy, little bit of Henny
I'm running on empty, I'm lonely
When I’m lonely, when I’m lonely

PARTY heard she spent her summers in Miami, Florida at somebody’s yacht that she didn’t buy. PARTY is not here to judge. He is not here to love everything she did to ball. PARTY looks back at their whole relationship despite the fact that she cheated on him with her current significant other.


Energy is one of those songs that hits harder when you have got haters in real life. Drake has got a lot of enemies. He has a lot of people trying to drain him of his energy. They are trying to drain the energy out of him basically. This song is one of Drake’s best songs in his career and discography. This song is also one of the more lyrical songs off the album.

The song deals with real life issues such as paying off a mortgage for instance. Drake shares with us the pain and stress of mortgage payments in these lyrics, "I got two mortgages $30 million in total" Owing $30 million dollars on property can really drain your energy.


6PM in New York is a Tyga diss where Drake takes lyrical jabs at Young Money label mate Tyga. He criticizes Tyga throughout the track even though he does not mention his name or any direct references.

Drake disses Tyga over him being the better rapper and successor next to Lil Wayne based off fame and album sales. Clearly Drake is the better rapper. Drake believes he is best successor next to Lil Wayne and that Lil Wayne could not have found him a better successor. Drake disses Tyga with these lyrics.

Somehow I always rise above it
Why you think I got my head in the clouds on my last album cover?
The game is all mine and I'm mighty possessive
Lil Wayne could not have found him a better successor
Every shot you see 'em take at me, they all contested

Drake calls out Tyga for the things he said in a Vibe Magazine from 2014 about him not being able to get along with Drake in these lyrics.

Longevity, wonder how long they'll check for me
Prolly forever if I stay in my zone
I speak on this generation, but can't change it alone
I heard a lil, lil homie talking reckless in Vibe
That's quite a platform you chose, you should've kept it inside
Oh, you tried? It's so childish calling my name on the world stage
You need to act your age and not your girl's age
It gets worse by the annual
My career's like a how-to manual, so I guess it's understandable, man

Now these lyrics are the specific lyrics which are aimed at Tyga and diss him.

I speak on this generation, but can't change it alone
I heard a lil, lil homie talking reckless in Vibe
That's quite a platform you chose, you should've kept it inside
Oh, you tried? It's so childish calling my name on the world stage
You need to act your age and not your girl's age

I rate this album 4/5****!

No comments:

Post a Comment