Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Mixerr Album Reviews #2,559

The Eargasm album by The Lady of Rage explained rap from a woman’s point of view. For example, songs such as Ride On The Eargasm (Ride The Wave Of The Eargasm), Rolling On The River, River Bed, and Midnight Hour (Late In The Midnight Hour) dealt with masturbation. Songs such as Rolling On The River and  River Bed deal with love. Eargasm defined the more feminine side of Rage. The album is based on sex from the feminine side but is not raunchy.

Dr. Dre and DJ Premier were responsible for producing her debut album. However Dr. Dre was responsible for a bulk of the production. Eargasm was actually Dr. Dre’s album and not the Lady of Rage’s album. Dr. Dre came up with the album title, the concept for the album and the vision of/for the album.

Lady of Rage’s Eargasm album is a classic East Coast rap album that is an overlooked masterpiece. The album has an East Coast hip hop feel and vibe. Any fans of hip hop/rap will not want to miss out on listening to this album! Eargasm is The Lady of Rage’s best work next to Necessary Roughness and VA 2 LA. This is a huge accomplishment for her. Her lyrics rival nearly all of the music that’s out currently today.

The standout tracks were Midnight Hour (Late In The Midnight Hour), Rolling On The River, River Bed, Sho Shot, Confessions, Butter Scotch, Breakdown, Get Wit Da Wickedness, Get Wit Da Wickedness (Remix), Big Bad Lady (feat. 2pac), Some Shit, Microphone Phon Cok, and Super Supreme.


Dr. Dre made mention of working on the Eargasm album backstage at the 1995 Source Awards saying that Death Row Records would release Eargasm after Tha Dogg Pound's Dogg Food album. Eargasm was slated to be The Lady of Rage’s debut album which was supposed to be released around 1994/1995. Eargasm was meant to be the next album on Death Row Records after The Chronic album and Doggystyle. However this ended up not happening. There were several reasons why the Eargasm album never got released. Here are the reasons why the Eargasm album was never released. 



 

Issues with musical style was an example of one of the reasons why this album never came out. The album was not to Suge’s liking as he believed the album sounded too much like East Coast rap. He wanted The Lady of Rage to sound more like West Coast Rape on her Eargasm album. Suge decided Lady Or Rage’s Eargasm album wasn’t good enough and canceled it. So what ended up happening is that Eargasm was shelved and some of the songs from the Eargasm album were used on the Necessary Roughness album. Suge had much more creative control over the Eargasm album than the Necessary Roughness album.

Snoop's popularity was another reason why the Eargasm album was never released and never came out on the planned date. After The Chronic album came out, Snoop Dogg blew up. Snoop's popularity was a priority for the label as he had more of an underground buzz than The Lady of Rage did. So Suge believed Snoop Dogg was more marketable than The Lady of Rage.

Dr. Dre’s busy production schedule was another reason. Dr. Dre’s busy production schedule prevented him from solely focusing on producing songs for the Eargasm album as he was the in-house producer for other artists who were signed to Death Row Records. Dr. Dre was basically the overseer, and if he didn't feel that it had the potential to do big things, then it didn't make it.  

The Lady of Rage told DubCNN in a 2007 interview, “That was Dre’s whole project! He came up with the title and everything, he had the concept and his vision of that. Once he left, all that left with him.”

The Lady of Rage told Billboard in 2014, “Originally, the album was going to be called ‘Eargasm,’ which was Dre’s whole vision. Granted, lyrically I feel like it was some of my best work. I feel like my lyrics back then could rival some of the stuff that’s out today. But the album was still an accomplishment for me. When I set out to do this, my whole plan was for people to know my name. Back then, it was so much about respect from your peers. I wanted to be known as a dope emcee. In future years, I wanted to be in the discussion of dope female emcees and some of the greatest to do it. I feel like I did achieve that.”

Dr. Dre leaving Death Row Records to start Aftermath Entertainment was another reason why Eargasm never came out. Rage’s dependency on men for her music career was another issue and reason as to why the Eargasm album was never released. Mainly in the form of collaborators and label bosses.

Focus on other artists who were signed to Death Row Records was the other reason why Eargasm was never released. Focus on other artists was a priority for the label. Eargasm was kept being continually pushed back due to focus on other artists who were signed to Death Row Records during that time. Eargasm was simply no longer a top priority for the label.

Incompletion was the main reason why Eargasm was never released. The Eargasm album was never completed and mastered. That is that main reason why the Eargasm album was never released. However Eargasm was reportedly close to completion. Now the Eargasm album is never going to be released as Death Row Records, Dr. Dre, and E1 own the rights to that album.



Get With Da Wickedness (Flow Like That) was one of the singles off Necessary Roughness along with Sho Shot. The whole song pays homage to RUN DMC and East Coast hip hop/rap. 80s East Coast hip hop/rap meets 90s rap. Rage’s rhymes match and are perfect for any rap song especially this one. The song is about how Rage is the baddest lyricist around.

Samples used are Run DMC - It’s Like That, The Fat Boys - The Fat Boys Are Back, and Anita Baker - Mystery. Get With Da Wickedness (Flow Like That) notably samples Run DMC - It’s Like That though.

From the end to the intro meaning the beginning, Rage got the microphone. Rage reminds us that she is that lyrical flow blower breaking them down to the least common denominator. Rage be that chick with the hits and lyrics. She is definitely ripping microphones. So come get with da wickedness!

Now it's like bang to the boogie. She’s one tough cookie. Let me break it down to the slab. Silly rabbit, you can't get with da wickedness. Why? That is for her to explain to you.

Her lyrics in Verse 2 have super def flows. Let me break it down to the slab. Read these lyrics.:

Make em fall a victim to my def flow
Lyrical murderer, that's why I'm on Death Row
Lethal injection couldn't, fade me
So, Suge and Dr. Dre scooped me up and paid me
Now I'm, hah, rockin ruff and stuff with my Afro Puffs
Hah, blowin em away like the Big Bad Wolf-a
Huffin, puffin, blowin, no bluffin
When it comes to the Rage I ain't nothin nice (uhh!)
on stage or mics, lights, camera
Even Jeru calls me the Damaja!

Now you know that The Lady Of Rage is good if Jeru calls her the Damaja! That is lyrically how good she is on the microphone.


Midnight Hour (Late In The Midnight Hour) is a song which dealt with masturbation. The Lady of Rage explains masturbation from a woman’s point of view. She also showcases her lyrical skills and abilities as a rap heavyweight. Midnight Hour was produced by Dr. Dre. There is, was, and are versions of Midnight Hour which featured Kurupt and Bloody Mary (Nini X).



Lyrics to the verses on Midnight Hour were reused on 2 songs on the Necessary Roughness album. The lyrics to Verse 1 were reused on Breakdown. Most of the lyrics to Verse 2 were reused on Sho Shot.

These lyrics to Verse 1 were reused on Breakdown.

Miss Afro Puffs, I step up on the cut
It's like ten-hut when I struts my big bad stuff now
Believe it or not, I rip these alien MC's
Like Ripley, sip tea 'cause I'm ice
Nothin' nice on you mutts or you mice
Beware of the bark, and beware of the bite
Spark off on the mic, champion MC
I'm hittin' harder than Jack Dempsey on sensei
So if they step into my ring (I what?)
I be on that wack ass before the bell goes ding
So, roll with the punches, I crunch MC's like crunches
Sit up, I, I got ya lit up as we speak
Brother's sweatin' my techniques
They can't compete, I'm too sweet
In fact I'm magnifique
I got a insatiable appetite
For eating rappers out of sheer delight
Fear no mic or no man
Look ma, no hands, damn
Look at these wannabe's
That get broke down to their hands and knees
With speed, with ease I can make 'em all freeze
I'm strictly 'bout those skills on the rilla
Strictly 'bout this motherfuckin' MC cold killa

Most of the lyrics to Verse 2 were reused on Sho Shot and the line "Nothin' but that slow flow pro" was removed.

Now I speak with expertise, and any heffer won't beef (moo)
I be that A-1 Sauce, on your lips like floss
I eat suckers as my entree, Rage got da bombay
I gets total wreck and I ain't, playin wit a full deck
It's just this, ace in your face, kicks from Earth to outer space
Gimme space room to breath, roll up my sleeves just to breeze
Blowin up the spot like infrared dots on your knot
Your noggin, lyrical murderer a Rockin Robin
I be dishin out that puddin, all you suckers pussyfootin
Be actin, but I ain't got time for theatrics
My crews be crushin, shitty MC's
I be flushin down the commode as I explode cock back and reload
Right the beat until they say WHOA
Then they tell me, "Momma don't hurt me no mo'!"
I'm strictly bout them skills on the reala
Strictly bout this motherfuckin MC cold killa, illa


Confessions is where Rage has a spiritual talk with God. Rage asks God to forgive her for her actions. Confessions of a young girl stressin. The song has a darker mood, tone, and vibe than all of the other songs on this album. Confessions serves as the closer for Necessary Roughness. References to the Christian religion are made hence the theme of Christianity.

Now the audio quality of this track was poor due to never being mastered professionally. That is why audio is not  crystal clear. The song recorded as a demo for Eargasm originally. Now this song ended up being used on the Necessary Roughness album in remixed form. Sam Sneed produced the original version of Confessions.

Rage asks God for forgiveness in Verse 1.

Forgive me God, for I have forsaken thee
I'm not gonna say that it's the devil that's makin me
Do what I do, the things that I've done
Just because I'm young, and it's all for fun
I never really thought about the consequences
But ever since Eazy died, I said "Now Ima listen"
Yay, though I walk through the valleys of death
I open my eyes, they droppin like flies, my last breath
Might get snatched, taken, broke down I'm shaken
Shaken by that shit that's breakin
Down your nervous system
So, if you're nervous listen
Kissin cousins die by the dozens
Because I like good lovin will I burn in a oven
Fiery furnace
Cause sometimes the yearn gets
Tempting so I yield into temptation
Intoxication mixed with fornication
Face the nation, face the revelation the ending
Will I be caught up in the rapture
Or will I be left behind because what I'm caught up in got me captured
Amazin Grace, could save a wretch like me
But a wretch like me feels that Hell is already my destiny (Why?)
Because I messed with He (Who?), him
He who sends them
The demons
I see em schemin amongst my dreamin
They tell me he awaits suddenly I awake
I got a funny feelin it won't be long before He
Takes my soul that was the deal all for mass appeal
Dollar dollar bill, now my fate seems sealed
The nails in the coffin, he's coughin, I'm lookin
Through my iris
To see if he's got the virus
Paranoia starts to sink in
Deranged thoughts start to blink in
And out of my mind playin tricks on me
Sufferin with suicidal tendencies, since ten plus three
On bended knee I ask what's intended for me cause I can't cope
Some tellin me I ain't shit, some tellin me I ain't got no hope
Confessions of a young girl stressin

Below is a summary of what Rage asks God in terms of forgiveness.

Forgive me God for I have forsaken thee. It’s not the devil that is making her do the things she has done. Just because she was young and all for her amusement. She never really thought about the consequences. But ever since Eazy-E died, she will listen.

She walks through the valleys of death. Rage is aware her last breath might get snatched and taken away from her. She asks, “Will I burn in a oven?” This is because she loves sex. Because sometimes the yearn for sexuality gets tempting. So Rage yields into temptation. Intoxication mixed with fornication. Face the nation. Face the revelation.

She wonders if she will be caught up in the rapture or left behind. What she has got herself caught up in got her captured. Amazing Grace could save a wretch like her. But a wretch like her feels that Hell is already her destiny. Because she messed with He. He who sends them. The demons. She sees demons scheming amongst herself dreaming. They tell her he awaits. Suddenly Rage awakes. Rage has a funny feelin it won't be long before He takes her soul. That was the deal all for mass appeal. This is a consequence for Rage singing to a major record label.

Now her fate seems sealed. The nail is in the coffin. Paranoia starts to sink in. Deranged thoughts start to blink in and out of her mind playin tricks on her. Suffering with suicidal tendencies.On bended knee, Rage asks what's intended for her because she can't cope. Some tell her she is shit. Some tell her she has no hope.

Confessions of a young girl stressin. Sitting alone and sweating.


Microphone Pon Cok is a jazzy East Coast rap freestyle backed by a looped violin sample. The Lady of Rage is the microphone pon cok lyricist. She engages in her battle stye of rap. Preemo killed the track with his production no doubt.

It be the dawning of a new era Check the terror of the clever style. Shot in in any type of weather. Hail, sleet or hurricanes, monsoon rains when Rage rules and when Madd 1 of AOD rules. Fools even if they pack tools they can't loosen their screws. They glimmer like a nova. Roll over. Horizons in a Range Rover. You can't survive even with luck from a clover. I prefer the seven leafs of Budapest cess.

The potent strain like Dristan mist that eat your brains. Rage and Madd 1 of AOD got more flavors than ingredients in deli’s. Making all these niggas jelly cause they are strong to the max. And then erupt and crush MC's without no ring rust. Filthy steelo.

Excusez moi, baby boy. The Lady Of Rage is hitting harder than your left jaw can withstand. So withdraw. She likes it rough, rugged and raw. She is a microphone fiend. Super supreme. Rage is a force to be reckoned with. Causing definite dysfunctions. You couldn't connect to her shit with conjunctions. Get eaten like luncheon meat, capiche? Lay your cards on the table get verbally disabled. You best pick up a thesaurus. Your shit is bull like Taurus.


Rage blows up like spontaneous combustion on Sho Shot. The Lady of Rage still remain the undisputed. Still hit MC's like Hadouken. Sho Shot was one of the singles off Necessary Roughness along with Get With Da Wickedness (Flow Like That). The song was released as a promo single in 1997 to radio stations to promote her album.

She begins her song with the wicked ass flow. Something for you wack MC's to think about. You better be on point. You better be strapped and buckled down because Rage will wreck you lyrically. It's that Sho Shot shit she releases. MC's from the West and the East get a motherfuckin piece. Cause it ain't where ya from it's where's ya gat. The lyrical attack is where her ammo is at.

Now they call me Rage cause I rush and come down like a hammer
Live rhythm get driven by vocal vehicular grammar
Untouched, the walls come crumbling down
You get clutched, in my clutch is fifty feet from the ground

Verse 1 used lyrics from Midnight Hour.

Miss Afro Puffs, I step up on the cut
It's like ten-hut when I struts my big bad stuff now
Believe it or not, I rip these alien MC's
Like Ripley, sip tea 'cause I'm ice
Nothin' nice on you mutts or you mice
Beware of the bark, and beware of the bite
Spark off on the mic, champion MC
I'm hittin' harder than Jack Dempsey on sensei
So if they step into my ring (I what?)
I be on that wack ass before the bell goes ding
So, roll with the punches, I crunch MC's like crunches
Sit up, I, I got ya lit up as we speak
Brother's sweatin' my techniques
They can't compete, I'm too sweet
In fact I'm magnifique
I got a insatiable appetite
For eating rappers out of sheer delight
Fear no mic or no man
Look ma, no hands, damn
Look at these wannabe's
That get broke down to their hands and knees
With speed, with ease I can make 'em all freeze
I'm strictly 'bout those skills on the rilla
Strictly 'bout this motherfuckin' MC cold killa

Notice on Verse 2 how The Lady of Rage explains that she isn’t into getting involved with rap feuds. She wasn’t going to get involved with that East Coast Vs. West Coast rap feud. She wasn’t about all that. That wasn’t her style. Read her lyrics to have a better understanding from where she stood in the East Coast Vs. West Coast rap feud below.

Cities of war fled the valley, so all of Cali sink
I come stompin like Snoop, hit the N-Y next
I ain't puffin up that shit between the East and the West
I use my, hip-hop precision, perfectly put to use it's
Metaphoric phrases, spittin like deuce deuces
Continuous and strenuous, crafty and shady
Brothers notice me like Jodeci, now Forever They Lady
I puts it to ya like this, you can despite me, dislike me
I makes money like Spike Lee
You either wanna be me or be just like me
I'm nasty, nice-ty, no sheisty
Ahh, so cold I'm icy, hah, so throw them dice G


The Lady of Rage and Snoop Dogg explain what the definition of ‘rage’ means on the song Rough, Rugged, and Raw. Now some hip hop heads will have different opinions on how they view this song. Some will think this song is wack while others will think this is phat. This is possibly the only wack song off this album. The beats are watered down but that does not stop either Rage, Snoop, or Daz from making Rough, Rugged, and Raw into a dope song. Real shit from real MC’s.

Snoop Dogg explains what the definition of ‘rage’ means at the very beginning of the song.

[Snoop]
Rage... what does that word mean, Rage?
Out-Rage-ous, vindictive... conspicuous
All about it, got to have it
The big bo-ty girl

Rage. What does that word mean? Rage means to be vindictive or conspicuous. It’s Out-Rage-ous! All about it. Got to have it. You don't know what you in store for! Rough, rugged, and raw! Hardcore!

Dat Nigga Daz kick shit off so tight. He kicks real shit in his rhymes when he recites. The poetry is lethal as Moe Brown. He’s got you hoppin with a new sound. Dat Nigga Daz showin up to put it down. MC's come around and kick the shit that's real. B-boys and MC's, what's happenin? You better watch out cause nuthin could save ya. Daz blasts us down with the hypnotical sound. He keeps it underground with a real sound.

Now check this! The key in the game is to be in the game. It's all about the fortune. Motherfuck the game. Live on stage, it's the Lady of Rage. She don't follow no fads. The Lady of Rage is bad. Bad down to the marrow. Pure raw, rough, rugged, and hardcore. Robin's on the soar. The deadliest to take flight. The bomb rhyme condor. She is a rhyme conniseur in her castle. You don't want no hastle. you don't wanna battle. Skeedaddle.



The Lady of Rage explains how she is an eargasm addict with Ride On The Eargasm. Ride On The Eargasm was also known as Ride The Wave Of The Eargasm. The song is heavily laced with funk and rap. The song is quite eargasmic. Ride On The Eargasm was a funky guitar driven East Coast rap song driven by a Johnny “Guitar” Watson sample over heavy lyricism. The introduction to Ride On The Eargasm was a funky guitar driven Johnny “Guitar” Watson sample.

Rolling On The River was a sexual love song. The Lady of Rage explains how she sees this man and he fit the bill of everything that she wanted. Everything that she wants out of a man. The Lady of Rage was attracted to his physical appearance. The Lady of Rage imagined him and her in a sexual way.

The Set Up with Heather B. and Nikki D was a diss song to rival Foxy Brown who previously made derogatory comments about Rage and Heather B. in a particular interview. This song was never released and remains unreleased because of timing and incompletion. The Set Up was produced by DJ Premier.

Butter Scotch was about oral sex. However Butter Scotch was not wasn't as explicit as a Lil Kim song since the song was recorded before Lil Kim came on to the business as a rapper.

River Bed was the same thing as Rolling On The River. The song was about masturbation. The Lady of Rage explains masturbation from a woman’s point of view because women need love to and have sexual urges like men do. River Bed was produced by Dr. Dre.

I rate this album 5/5*****!!

No comments:

Post a Comment