Friday, February 8, 2019

Mixerr Album Reviews #1,668

This is Michael Mixerr. Today I will review Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing.

Avril Lavigne decided to take a different musical direction with this album. The whole album is more pop oriented than rock. By 2007, Avril Lavigne became an international pop sensation sellout across the globe by having decided to go the pop route. This album is more girly and cheery. The album tackles subjects such as dating and relationships which is what she did on her last album Under My Skin.


The Best Damn Thing is the title track and lead single that is a cheerleader pop song about how Avril Lavigne is “the best damn thing” your eyes will have ever seen toward any man out there willing to be her boyfriend. It is a pop oriented song. Avril Lavigne definitely went all out with this song. It’s painfully obvious she went the sellout route here. Avril Lavigne can create a scene as she is a scene. She’s a drama queen. She’s the best damn thing that your eyes have ever seen! Like it or not.

The Best Damn Thing” was released as the final single on June 21, 2008. The song charted at #7 on the US Billboard Charts under the Hot 100 Singles chart. The song would later peaked at #95 on the Hot 100 Singles chart. However The Best Damn Thing didn’t perform as well commercially as some of her previous singles. Oh the irony.

Apparently a guy not getting the door for her really gets on her last nerves as evidenced in He Wasn’t from the Under My Skin album and on Verse 1 for this song. Where are the hopes? Where are the dreams? Her Cinderella story scene? Anyway peep the first verse.

[Verse 1]
I hate it when a guy doesn't get the door
Even though I told him yesterday and the day before
I hate it when a guy doesn't get the tab
And I have to pull my money out and that looks bad, yeah

Now Verse 2 is where Avril starts to get awkward and quite disturbing. Does this really need an explanation? She is talking about being on her period for fucks sake.

[Verse 2]
I hate it when a guy doesn't understand
Why a certain time of month I don't wanna hold his hand (uh-uh)

Now the bridge sung in a cheer the way cheerleaders performs their cheers and chants at pep rallies & sporting events. Now this is where the song becomes even more cheery.

[Bridge]
Give me an A (always give me what I want)
Give me a V (be very, very good to me)
R (are you gonna treat me right?)
I (I can put up a fight)
Give me an L (let me hear you scream loud)
(Let me hear you scream loud)
One, two, three, four!
You won’t get rid of her never.


I Can Do Better is someone getting over someone whether it be a friend, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, or a certain crush. Whatever the case, this song certainly is rubbing it in their faces you can and will find someone to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. That you will find someone better. It’s basically that simple.

It is evident and painfully obvious that Avril is tired of this shit. So don’t ask why and don’t deny it.

[Pre-Chorus]
I'm sick of this shit, don't deny
You're a waste of time
I'm sick of this shit, don't ask why


Hot is a “burlesque” pop rock ballad where Avril sings away her feelings about a boyfriend. This boyfriend of her makes hot “hot”. It’s so ridiculous. The song uses a heavy punch of rock music.

She wants to lock her boyfriend up in her closet and do some crazy ridiculous things to him. She makes some references to BDSM, bondage play, and sex.  The lyrics explain what she wants to do to her boyfriend.:

[Verse 1]
I wanna lock you up in my closet
When no one's around
I wanna put your hand in my pocket
Because you're allowed
I wanna drive you into the corner
And kiss you without a sound
I wanna stay this way forever
I'll say it loud

[Pre-Chorus]
Now you're in
You can't get out

It’s clear he makes Avril so hot. He’s so ridiculous. She can barely stop (or breathe). That gently kiss is what she is longing for.

I rate this album, The Best Damn Thing, 4/5****!

No comments:

Post a Comment