Monday, February 20, 2017

Mixerr Album Reviews #1,116

This is Michael Mixerr. This night I will review Craig Mack / The Notorious B.I.G. ‎– B.I.G. Mack.

The Craig Mack / The Notorious B.I.G. ‎– B.I.G. Mack album was a cassette only release from 1994 as part of a marketing scheme thought up by Puff Daddy and his Bad Boy Records street team. The major promo campaigns conducted by the Bad Boy Records street team was genius! Puff Daddy, Craig Mack, and Biggie were on some next level Bad Boy shit at the time. The B.I.G. Mack campaign was truly unique for its time. Biggie, Puff Daddy, and Craig Mack took over the music world with the Bad Boy Records (now Bad Boy Entertainment) imprint in 1994. Also, the Craig Mack / The Notorious B.I.G.* ‎– B.I.G. Mack a sampler as well.

The introduction (“Intro”) is the original version of Intro which is on The Notorious B.I.G. side of this cassette. The version of Intro has the Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up sample instead of the Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly from his blaxploitation film which you hear on Biggie’s retail version of his Ready To Die album.

The What featured Redman and the then unknown Method Man. Method Man would then procreate 2 bars and verses on The What track. The What does have some distinctive grooves as it was produced by Easy Mo Bee.

Flava In Ya Ear as a track is what latched both careers of Craig Mack and The Notorious B.I.G. into unprecedented stardom. However Notorious B.I.G. became the star of the show intentionally which led to Puff Daddy displacing Craig Mack onto the back burner thus overshadowing Craig Mack’s popularity. Biggie, Puff Daddy, and Craig Mack took over the music world with the Bad Boy Records (now Bad Boy Entertainment) imprint in 1994 especially with this song. Craig Mack’s robotic rhymes are what made him get overlooked and Craig Mack’s issues with Puff Daddy on the business side is what led him to get dropped from the label.

What makes album worthy among music collectors, hip hop heads, and Biggie fans is the original version of Me & My Bitch. The original version of Me & My Bitch had the Minnie Riperton - Take A Little Trip sample. (Of course the sample was uncleared though.) Sample clearance was the reason why this version of Me & My Bitch did not surface on the retail version of the Ready To Die album. This was the version Biggie and Puff Daddy intended for the world to hear but never made it past the demo stage for the retail album you see today. You can only find this version of Me & My Bitch on this cassette.

I rate this album, B.I.G. Mack, 5/5*****!!

No comments:

Post a Comment