Saturday, June 17, 2017

Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church not forgotten.

Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church was built in 1900. The Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church was built as a rectangular front gabled building with a gabled roofed entry and a triangular roof for the steeple. Take notice of the evenly parallel squared porch at the front entrance. An addition has been added to the rear. In 1937, Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church sold 1 acre of land to the Colorado Common School District (now Del Valle Independent School District).

In 1940, the church sold an additional 5 acres of land to the Colorado Common School District to open the Lamar School which would eventually become the Del Valle Opportunity Center in the 1980s. There are not any known cemeteries associated with this church. The building is currently shared by Hispanic and Black Baptist congregations.

Today the Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church sits vacant in its almost exact location of origin. As TxDOT expands State Highway 71 to 5 lanes, the Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church may be demolished by imminent domain for right of way purposes. Airport traffic from Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA) has lead Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church to relocate 20 feet away from the original location.

The old location of Del Valle Missionary Baptist Church was 3320 State Highway 71, Del Valle, Texas, US 78617. It was located next to the Lamar School. The new locations are 17600 Blake Manor Road, Manor, Texas, US 78653 and 3178 Eva Street, Del Valle, Texas, US 78617.

No comments:

Post a Comment