Origins for Oak Grove Church date back to 1861 when the building was know as Oak Grove School. Oak Grove Church was the former Oak Grove School that was located on the end of Spicewood Springs Road in Austin, Texas which served as aa rural schoolhouse that had served Travis County and rural Austin from 1861 to 1970. Oak Grove School taught grades 1 through 8 as Oak Grove School was a K-8 school.
In 1970, the former Oak Grove School was converted from a 110 year old schoolhouse into a neo-classical modern church which would become the Oak Grove Church we know today. No known modifications were made to the church.
Over the years, the Oak Grove Church was set on fire several times by vandals. The Oak Grove Church finally burned to the ground on the date of August 31, 1992 after being set on fire several times. Report of arson to the Oak Grove Church had appeared in an August 31, 1992 edition of the Austin American-Statesman newspaper in an article titled “Congregation mourns loss of old church”. Today only a shed, cement foundations, and a basketball court remain. The shed is currently being used for storage.
Now Oak Grove Cemetery was first plotted in 1885. Earliest burial found at this cemetery dates back to the year 1887. Today the cemetery is maintained by the donations of friends and family. Oak Grove Cemetery is private property and off limits to the public.
Oak Grove Church was/is located at 7901 Spicewood Springs Road, Austin, Texas, US 78759. Both the Oak Grove Church and Oak Grove Cemetery are located at this address. Oak Grove Cemetery is now property of Oak Grove Church. Today both Oak Grove Church and Oak Grove Cemetery are private property and are currently off limits to the public.