Waters Park School started its beginnings on 3807 Adelphi Lane in Northwest Austin, Texas in 1891. Waters Park School was built as a log cabin that was a one-room schoolhouse as many schools were at that time. The school taught 1st grade through 8th grade. After 8th grade, students would drop out of school in order to help their families grow crops as agricultural lifestyle was prevalent in that area at the time.
The Waters Park School log cabin building burned down from a fire that had mysteriously started. After the school burned down, Waters Park School became Summitt Negro School and relocated to 3605 Adelphi Lane at St. Stephen’s Church. It is unclear exactly what year and when the Waters Park School burned down.From then on out, school was conducted within St. Stephen’s Church on Duval Road in 1934. (St. Stephen’s Church is known as St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church.)
Waters Park School became Summitt Negro School and relocated to 3605 Adelphi Lane at St. Stephen’s Church in 1934 after the original school burned down. Summitt Negro School continued This permanent African-American school continued to exist at the church operating there until 1960 when the school was integrated into the old Summitt School on Burnet Road & Kramer Lane.
Waters Park School was originally located at 3807 Adelphi Lane, Austin, Texas, US 78727.